Parent/child hierarchy and self-referencing filters

Hello,

I really like what you’re doing with NotionApps - I can think of so many applications already.

One feature I think would expand the capability a lot is to support parent/child relationships with a self-referencing filter (as Notion itself supports).

Here are a few examples this would enable:

1. A record collection app with artists (parent) and their albums (child)
  2. A stock management app with stock units (parent) and movements of each unit (child)
  3. A project management app with projects (parent) and tasks for each project (child)

If the “+” icon on each page (parent or child) would allow you to add a record at each level that would be so useful.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Gordon

Hey Gordon! Welcome to the NotionApps community! If I understand correctly, a parent-child relationship is how Notion represents Relations. We have started working on the support for Relation columns. With it, you will be able to view/add/update related pages from the parent page. As it’s a big feature, we will hopefully be shipping it by the end of next month.
You can track the progress of the feature on our Roadmap here, https://community.notionapps.com/t/support-for-relation-columns. Do upvote it so that we can keep measuring the community’s interest in Relations.

2 Likes

Hi Jatin,
Yes, that’s right. These are connected by relations in Notion. Great that you’re developing that functionality and I look forward to testing it when it’s released. Good luck :+1:

1 Like

Hi,
Yes. Getting the relation sounds to me like a MUST have. Great that you’re working on that.

Once the relation feature is there, would it be possible to do the following:

• My users (table User) login to the app
  • The add products (product table)
  • A relation is automatically set between the product added and the user who add it so that each time a user landa consult a product, he can see who has added the product.

This work for products but it is a valid case for whatever page added to a table (product, project, doc, event,…).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Julien. Relations is definitely a must-have feature, and we are actively working on it.

The workflow you described is part of the feature’s scope. When a logged-in user adds a new item to a “Products” database which has a relation to “Users” database, there will be an option to automatically update the relation values as the logged-in user.

1 Like

Gracias Sameer. I’m keen on getting this feature. I believe it will really open new use cases :ok_hand:

1 Like